Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Crime Scene


The back story:
Four local (SF Bay Area)police officers were shot and killed one day last month. It is a real tragedy and affected me personally because I have several family members in law enforcement and public service. A cousin is a police sargeant. My sister works
in the behavioral unit, my father was a deputy sheriff, a nephew is in the
police academy, and my brother is a firefighter. So this story made me think of the dangers public servants face every day.
I overdyed commercial fabric for the background. I then discharged the scope
sight in the center. I stamped the crime scene letters on hand-dyed fabric and
foiled the police badges. I then fused the black "grieving" strips over the
badges and printed the names (with paint pens)of the four officers after
stitching them down. I used Fabrico pens to write around the scope sight "I saw
the news today, Oh Boy."

I hope to complete this piece tomorrow. And as you can see, I am so encouraged by all your wonderful words. I'm also sending my congratulations to a fellow guild member Vicki David who got a second place on her first try at Padukah. Her piece is exquisite.

2 comments:

pcoxdesign said...

What a great tribute to the people who serve all of us and risk their lives doing it. Thanks for sharing!

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow...nice work...I too was very moved by this tragedy, but not in as personal way as you. But in my counseling practice I see many police officers and fire fighters. So it hit home and became subject of a few sessions.