Tuesday, June 13, 2006

It is still Tuesday



Whew, made the deadline with an hour and a half to spare. Good news! I was chosen again to exhibit in the second First Friday on July 7 in front of Cafe Japan on Courthouse Square. Stop by to see me. 5-8 p.m. This is exciting because I was told up front that too many artists had applied and there wouldn't be repeats.

I will also have a piece in the Gallery One 'Blues and Jazz' challenge. "Muddy Waters" is a dicharged black piece, hand painted, stamped and machine quilted with a Muddy Waters portrait. No pictures yet. I'll post one when I get it. Here's a shot of what he looked like in real life. I like to do threadwork portraiture. Here is a picture of Stephanie, my friend Pam's daughter. This was her Christmas present.

Ted talks about claiming your independence. I always thought that I had to stick to a certain style that had my individual type of work, but I found that I love to create eclectic pieces. Now that I'm playing with surface design, I may find a specific voice. I love working with discharged blacks and trying to make them come alive with various techniques. I know he was talking about making the teacher's art, but I have never done that intentionally. My thoughts are now straying to the idea of how to get the public to crave my work.

No comments: