Sunday, February 08, 2009

Submersed in Art


How about the newest picture of my niece? She is adorable (and will be greeting a sibling this summer). It just makes me smile and want to snuggle up with something. So I'm wrapped in a comfy shawl, warmed by a cozy fire and ruminating on the last weeks. I've been extremely lucky to live in the SF bay area where two creative regional meetings were held. SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) regional held the yearly weekend meeting and Marion Coleman gave an inspiring and instructive lecture and trunk show of her public art projects. Show and tell was eye candy and inspirational. Today, I journeyed to SF for the SDA (Surface Design Association) regional meeting held at a member's loft in an artist's building. That was inspiration in itself. The encaustic textile artist Daniella Woolf gave a presentation of her work. I have been familiar with this medium for several years, as I have a friend (Lisa Schoutsen) who paints in encaustic and attended another demo in encaustic painting at AWS (Artist's Workshop of Sonoma County). I like the process, but, as Carol Larsen says, " I work in textiles because I love the feel they create." Me too. There were several Sonoma County artists present, some of whom shated gorgeous work). And last, but not least, I spent the last two weeks working in a small series for Liz Berg's Advanced Design class (See previous post). I'm not completely finished, but have a good start. I found it amazing what I learn about myself as I work on my pieces. And working like this led me to fashion my ideas about a very personal piece I've wanted to do for years, and have finally found the courage to begin.
My thanks to those who comment publicly or privately and provide the encouragement I need. And now my finger is tired, plus Paul Mc Cartney is on the Grammys. Till next time.

No comments: